15 March 2011

Common Mistakes: "Sometime" Vs "Sometimes"

What is the difference between "Sometimes, I study English" and "I study English sometime next month".

According to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, "sometimes" has a meaning similar to occasionally. "Sometime", on the other hand, can be used when you do not know exactly when the time is either in the future or in the past.  

Therefore, "Sometimes, I study English" is equivalent to "Occasionally, I study English". "I will study English sometime in this month" is equivalent to "I will study English in this month, but I cannot tell you exactly the day is"

In addition, I cannot find any explanation about "some time". This is because it is not a phrase word. It is similar to "some milk", "some money", "some fun" etc. In the words, the "some" is used to describe the amount of the thing in these cases.

That's all for today. More fascinating articles and sharing will be updated from time to time in Xaivier Blog. So, you are welcome to subscribe our feed, look at our sitemap or simply visit our Homepage.

Written by: Xaivier Chia

Reference:
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 4 with CD

Advertisements:

No comments:

Post a Comment