15 February 2013

Windows 7: A Contingency Plan to Manage Computer

In this information explosion world, the use of cloud storage looks like a good option to store and backup our abundant important files in real time. Indeed, after two of my hard disks collapsed in the same time previously, I am very serious to find an alternative solution to organise and secure my important files. However, I have many bad experiences from irresponsible providers who terminated their services suddenly or unconditionally. Thus, I decide to use the old fashion way to backup my files, that is, by using extra external hard disk.
 
Since no one can guarantee that Windows operation system (OS) will never collapse. So, it will be a good idea to prepare for such situation when I still can do it in a normal OS condition. In the following content, I share my contingency plan to reduce the impact from unfortunate events, that is, internal hard disk or windows OS crash.  

Extra external hard disk

We have totally no idea when our internal hard disk will collapse. Thus, periodically backup our important files is an indispensable way to avoid any trouble from losing them. To do so, I have bought one extra hard disk to back up my files, and place my hard disks in different locations to offset the risk from theft. In fact, I have a plan to buy a new extra hard disk in every 2~3 years to backup my important files.

System repair disc

I have also bought an CD-R to create a system repair disc. This disc is important to boot my computer when a serious error occurs. 

System Image

Creating a System image is a good way to backup the drivers of our computer. Since it requires a free space that equals to the space occupied in the current OS disk plus the space of backup disk (if any), a big storage such as external hard disk is the best candidate for it.
 
These tasks are quite easy to be done. Interested readers can go to their "Control Panel", then select "Backup and Restore" folder.

Bookmarks or Favorites

Last but not least, I am also too dependent on the bookmarks or favorites function from Firefox or Internet Explorer. Therefore, I also need to backup these vital bookmarks from time to time.
 
In short, I believe the money and the time used to "invest" these tasks are worthy for those who have many important files in their laptop or computer. Personally, these files are my assets that have been built up daily. Thus, this "investment" plays as an hedge role to offset unpredictable risks and let me have a peace of mind and good nigh sleep daily. That's all for today. More fascinating articles and sharing will be updated from time to time in Xaivier Blog. So, you are welcome to subscribe our feed, look at our sitemap or simply visit our Homepage for latest sharing.

Written by: Xaivier Chia

(P/S: The above sharing is solely based on personal insight. Please do not take it seriously. However, your valuable feedback are very welcome.)

Advertisements:

No comments:

Post a Comment