Yes, it is very competitive to outperform other when applying those well-known scholarship. Therefore, I would like to recommend a different channel so that those needy can have a scholarship to pursue higher level education.
There are some advantages of applying public listed company's scholarship:
1. Applicant has an opportunity to introduce he or she to potential employers during interview session.
2. Scholarship holders have very high chance to have a job offer from their scholarship sponsor immediately after graduate.
3. Sometimes, scholarship holders will be invited for their annual dinner. It is a very nice experience and chance to build network.
How to apply public listed company's scholarship.
There is no free lunch in this world. In order to find a suitable scholarship, you still need to do some homework first. Nevertheless, let me use an example to show you how to find a scholarship from public listed company in Malaysia.
1. Firstly, do find your interested field of study. For example, if you want to be a civil engineer, you can list out all public listed companies which provide construction, properties or relevant products and services.
2. Go to their official website and search whether scholarship is provided or not. If not, do read their latest annual report to once again search for scholarship information.
3. If nothing about scholarship is found, proceed to the next potential sponsor.
Example: Construction and Properties Developer Company: KEN Holdings Berhad
From KEN Holdings Berhad Annual Report 2011:
"KEN HOLDINGS BERHAD continues its commitment towards education and training our youth who will be the future leaders of tomorrow. KEN FOUNDATION had been providing scholarships to qualifying Malaysians and internship trainings at the Group’s subsidiary companies to equip them with the requisite practical experience to groom them for their future.
Our scholarship recipients have since graduated and have joined the Malaysian work force in various disciplines and are contributing towards our national development. Some have joined the Group and are part of our succession plan to build a strong pipeline of future talent as we believe the notable performance of the Group is not only from the quality of assets but also the strength of the people managing and operating those assets."
After that, we can also find lots of information about this scholarship from KEN official website*: such as:
1. Which degree program is relevant for the application.
2. The value of the scholarship.
3. Eligible or requirements.
4. The way to apply.
Of course, once you have a list of potential sponsors for your tertiary education, all you need to do is wait for time when those scholarships are opened for applying. Therefore, it is better for you to check their news weekly from newspaper or their announcement from their official website. That's all for today. More fascinating articles and sharing will be updated from time to time in Xaivier Blog. So, you are welcome to subscribe our feed, look at our sitemap or simply visit our Homepage.
Written by: Xaivier Chia
*More information (e.g. application form) can be found at: http://www.kenholdings.com.my/Ken_flash/popup.htm